Accredited by: Not yet accredited, still in process.
Wamakersvallei Programmes are designed to equip you with the necessary skills to enter the workplace soon after completion of the course.
Fee includes: Lectures, Handbooks and a Certificate.
Dress code: Casual but neat. The uniform is only to be worn during in-service training hours.
Absenteeism: A doctor’s certificate is needed if a student is absent for more than 3 days.
Accommodation: Accommodation and traveling must be arranged by learner.
WEEK 1: LIFE SKILLS
Personal Development, Responsibilities, Communication and Conflict Management, Problem Solving, Effective Time Management, Study Methods, Job Application, CV’s and interviews.
WEEK 2: HOUSE MANAGEMENT
Personal Hygiene and Health, Organising the workplace, Kitchen Skills, Food and Nutrition, Textiles and Safety in the Workplace.
WEEK 3 – 5: FRAIL CARE THEORY
- The effective carer and the qualities of a healthy person.
- The rights of the frail person and the legal implications of frail care – misconduct and different forms of abuse.
- Basic anatomy and physiology of the human body and normal.
- Taking care of the patient’s environment.
- Aiding clients with daily personal care such as washing, dressing and feeding themselves.
- Palliative care.
- Helping people with mobilisation and maintaining health and functionality.
- Sexuality and the elderly.
- Basic principles of Occupational Therapy.
- Basic principles of Physiotherapy.
- Death counseling.
- Basic first aid and safety in the home.
- Record-keeping and assisting in daily care plan for a person.
- GERATEC relationship directed support.
- Wamakersvallei Training Centre Oath.
WEEK 6 – 7: PRACTICAL TRAINING
During the course practical experience involves visiting a nursing home to orientate the learners regarding their future workplace, the different sections/units and the daily routine in the old-age home.
Simulation and practical exercise takes place in class on a daily basis.
After completion of the course the learners are placed at a home for three weeks where these tasks are performed under supervision.
WEEK 8: EXAMINATION AND PRACTICAL ASSESSMENTS
Assessment and tests take place continuously, as well as a final examination after completion of the practical training.
Personality, honesty, behaviour, entrepreneurial spirit, willingness, application of knowledge, interaction with the resident and relationships with home staff are very important and are taken into account when issuing a certificate.